Environment, Culture, Agriculture, Research and Development Society Nepal (ECARDS-Nepal) has completed its 28 working years acting as a non-profit, non-governmental, non-sectarian social development organisation. It was set up in 1991 (BS 2047) with the aim of fostering sustainable community development through people’s organisations and leadership. There are at present a total of 30 members. Among these members, 23 (76.6%) are male members and 7 (23.4%) are female members.
ECARDS-Nepal was set up to foster sustainable community development through people’s organization and leadership and is registered with the District Administration Office, Kathmandu (Regd. No. 498/047/048) and affiliated to the Social Welfare Council (No. 388/048).
ECARDS-Nepal seeks to achieve the following objectives in pursuing its vision, mission and goal:
- To establish self-reliant and self-governing local level organisations capable of solving their problems themselves;
- To create awareness and work with the most disadvantaged and marginalized groups of people with special emphasis on women and children;
- To promote activities that benefit special target groups (marginalized communities and ethnic minorities) with their full participation in need assessment, programme implementation, technology dissemination and development of their associations and cooperatives;
- To implement income generating programmes and micro-enterprises especially designed for poverty alleviation, co-participating with the target communities;
- To undertake programmes in areas of rural community development, health and sanitation, sustainable agriculture, rural infrastructure development and natural resource management on a sustainable and environmentally friendly manner; and,
- To undertake research in agriculture and socio-economic fields.
The mission of ECARDS-Nepal is to empower the people by improving the socio-economic conditions of the local communities through better management of available resources in complement with national development efforts.
ECARDS-Nepal envisages contributing meaningfully to the creation of a self-reliant society that is economically productive and equitable, socially just, environmentally friendly, and genuinely democratic. Its basic philosophy is to create awareness and promote understanding of the dynamics of the development process by empowering the local communities.
ECARDS-Nepal’s goal is to improve the socio-economic conditions of the poorest of the poor through better management of natural resources. So, it is working with the needy and vulnerable sections of the Nepalese societies to promote various activities that benefit these extremely poor, disadvantaged, marginalized and ethnic minority groups as well as other communities in the country with their full and ‘meaningful’ participation.
Under the policy guideline of executive committee a team of qualifies human resources are being involved in the implementation of the project activities in different geographical locations of ECARDS Nepal. Summary of the professionals involving in the implementation of the project:
The overhead grants from the partner agencies along with the institutional development fund collected from the staff and the membership fees are the source of its internal fund generation. Average annual turnover of the last five-year is Rs 68,109,146.47.